We discovered a strange tablet that acts as a kind of compass, Yuna attuned to the item and while the rest of us could only see strange eldritch markings on it, she could discern the location of some cultists that worship a strange God. This device when used made a large gong sound and lit a blue lighted path leading us further into the mists.
I stayed slightly behind the group at this point, lurking from the shadows, but still close enough I could witness them receiving a quest from a knight in black armor with spikes protruding from it. He directed my companions to find three birds and directed them to the nearby town for help with this quest.
In town, I rejoined the group as we entered a merchant shop that carried more magic items than we could have dreamed of and at what seemed reasonable prices. Zax purchased a new defensive shield and sword. Inrah purchased some eyes of the eagles to help with her scouting. Shadow, our intimidating warforged Shadow Monk, actually paid to replace his arms with ones that can protrude with combat blades! Lefty purchased a horrifying scimitar whose magic seems to seek blood in exchange for healing the holder (to be honest, this blade seems a bit cursed, watch your back). Yuna acquired a bag of holding. As for me, I spent my last coin on a rare ring of protection, who knows what horrors await us with Yuna's compass?
After stocking up, we journeyed further while Luna led us through the mouth of a winding cave where the waters had receded. Following our compass, we eventually came to a great body of water we would need to somehow cross. Inrah's cloak of useful items was invaluable once again as she had two patches with two rowboats, just enough for our party to use. None of us are particularly skilled at sailing vessels like these, but with Zax and Yuna's combined strength they were able to get us over the surf and onward, our path lit by the compass.
Eventually we saw a small island in the distance and our compass led us towards the mouth of a cave inside the island. Thankfully no battles had to be fought on the water, in fact, Yuna's compass seemed to still the waters when used.
Once arriving at the cave entrance, we pushed deeper into the dark. There was bioluminescent moss that when brushed would leave a slight glow, so I used my telekinetic hand to stroke the side of the cave to help me with light. Unlike me, many of the party have excellent dark vision to help lead the way.
Eventually we came to a landing where I placed my pet frog, Chemotoad, on some moss and told him to stay. He glowed quite happily while gobbling up the bioluminescent moss! I'll be back for my friend, no need to risk my lucky toad pet during the battle to come.
We prepared for battle and Shadow and Zax burst into the first door of the cultist's cave. Lefty rushed in as well, his arrows instantly felling a cultist. With that, the battle had begun. The cultist leader seemed fond of using a Command spell, so I tried to stay well away from his sites. Unfortunately, he had Lefty disarm his bow immediately. Zax jumped in on the table where they were feasting and delivered a crushing blow to another cultist. The blades in Shadow's arms flung forth and began slicing and dicing. Inrah lit up the room with Magic Missles. Yuna was healing our wounds and launching painful bursts of sacred flame. I focused in on the leader with my psi-blades.
While the cultists didn't seem to be much of a match for us, it was their numbers that made this battle more dangerous as they began to flood in from a door to the east and south.
Zax became furious when Lefty's kill count started to soar with his bloodthirsty scimitar and I used my cloud giant's jaunt to blink behind the cultist leader to deliver the killing blow. Zax seems to almost have a personal vandetta against these cultists, is it something in her past? Regardless, we all let out a cheer when Zax was able to deliver the finishing blow to the final cultist! Victory was ours.
Scattered around the room was enough gold and silver to help with our depleted coin. I was worried for a moment I might need to borrow (or temporarily steal until I could replace) some money from our rich cleric! Yuna must have some royal upbringing with all that money she carries!
Unfortunately, while searching the bodies for loot, a few of us stumbled upon some cursed holy symbols that crumbled to sand upon touch, leaving us (me) with a strange sense of dread and daytime nightmares.
I don't know how long it would take to sleep this haunting off. Most unfortunate.

No comments:
Post a Comment